Cover Reaction: Divided

The following post may contain spoilers and is comprised of nothing other than my raw, biased opinion and should therefore be taken with a grain of salt. The purpose of this post is spill out my feels for a book cover in a shoddy attempt to tell you all how wonderful it is. In no way is anything I say meant to be taken personally or otherwise. 




Got that?





Good. 











Now shut up and keep reading. 














So a some random series of random neurons decided to fire in the back of brain earlier today without me telling them to. That signifies I was tired, I was braindead, or a combination thereof. That said, the random prick of thought was like
Hey! Go see if that one book about that one thing has a cover yet!


So, being a tired hungry braindead little nerd, I pulled out my phone and I searched up the book I hadn't thought about in months. Don't ask how such a thought came up while I was at Circuits tutoring, because I don't even know. But anyway, upon landing on the book's Goodreads page, I was rewarded with both a cover and a synopsis, both of which were absent last I checked. I glanced at the cover, read the synopsis, glanced at the cover... gawked at the cover... decided to make a post about the cover... daydreamed about the cover...

Yeah. 


You're probably wondering what the cover is? Oh. Here. Gawk at it. Gawk in awe. 




To be honest a cover this vibrant should be on a video game, especially after the Dualed's cover wasn't nearly as vibrant. 





Now, why exactly does a flashy title warrant it's own post? Let me list to you my reasons:
- It's bloody eye-catching
- West has a katana. 
- It screams of symbolism
- As opposed to the first book's cover, this one looks all high-tech. 
- West has a katana. 
- There's a shadowy figure opposing West, and it definitely isn't herself. 
- Aforementioned figure has a katana. 
- West has a katana. 
- The colors, while vibrant, are softer than those of Dualed's cover, as if it's not a picture, but rather a painting. 
- Mirrors. Lots of mirrors. 
- West has a katana. 

If you didn't catch those hints, WEST HAS A BLOODY SWORD. In a futuristic society where people skip about with guns and knives maiming everything that isn't related them, what good is a sword? 

... That's why it sticks out to me. Are guns and knives banned from Boardland, or wherever that high-tech place is? Did West become a cyborg ninja like Raiden? Did she ever learn to aim properly? Why do both covers have borderline lame taglines? What does the tagline on Divided even mean? Is this book about how West hacks midterms to shreds with a Japanese sword? Will I ever stop asking stupid questions?


No. No, I won't. 


Okay, let's build up to me reaction to the cover step-by-step:
1: See Dualed. Get interest. 
2: Obtain Dualed. (UM, actually, I gave Tyler the book for his birthday! ~Amanda)
3: Read Dualed. 
4: Love Dualed. 
5: Research the sequel mentioned in the author information thing.
6: Find no synopsis and a placeholder. 
7: Cry. 
8: Contemplate what 'Divided' could mean in a very mathematical algorithm. 
- Dualed = West + fakeWest + guns and knives and skipping off to maim everything not related to yourself
- West = protagonist; Assassin's Creed roleplayer with terribad aim
- Chord = Westdeadbro's buddy = stalker
- Stalker = ally = winning
- West - fakeWest = Completion -> Life
- Life = West + Chord + guns and knives and maiming everything that doesn't spell 'Chest'
- ==> Together = Chest
-====> Divided = Split
-=====> Split = Chest - West = Ch. 


That's about as far as I got before I started praying I was wrong about the plot. And from the synopsis, I was wrong. ... Unless Chord is the mentioned ghost of her past. Love interests =/= ghosts though, so... Yeah. 

And 'Final Test'? What does that mean? In my opinion, I think the Board is a hoax and the test comes from West's Assassin's Creed buddies. I mean, you don't just stop being an Altair Striker, as was mentioned more than once in Dualed. 


So no, West. You aren't done LARP'ing Assassin's Creed. 


Okay, less sarcasm stuff aside. What do I really think?

I love the cover. 
The tagline is sub-par, but they usually are unless they aren't.
I don't condone skipping about maiming everyone that you didn't meet in the first seven years of your life, but it does make for an interesting concept. 


OH GUYS, YOU KNOW WHAT'S OUTSIDE THE REALLY HUGE WALL THAT SURROUNDS THEIR STATE-SIZED CITY OF SPLOCH OR WHATEVER IT WAS? 




...


NO, NOT PANEM. THAT'S OUTSIDE FACTIONVILLECHICAGO, YOU OBSCENELY DEDUCTIVE DIVERGENTARDS.


- Panem is not outside the city

-Edited by Amanda for my brain-dead boyfriend!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nico di Angelo

BOOK REVIEW: THE DARKEST MINDS BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

Review: Sylo by D.J. MacHale