Book Review: Champion

WARNING:THE FOLLOWING POST CONTAINS SPOILERS. It's a goddy review post, what did you expect? 














You and I will probably never get the chance to meet. But I know you. You have taught me about all the good things in life, and why I've fought for my family all these years. I hope for great things for your own loved ones, that they can go through life without suffering the way mine have. 
The Colonies have much to offer you. Their ships are now in our skies. It will not be long before you see Colonies banners flying above your children's schools and over your homes. People of the Republic, I have one final message for you, before you and I say farewell to each other. 
The Republic is weak and broken. But this is still your country.
Fight for it.
This is your home, not theirs.






I don't even know how to describe the last hundred or so pages of this book. Not accurately, anyway. You know how a book spends its entier plot building up to one key climax, which is usually like a single chapter and tends to be the most intense part of the book? Well that would be the last hundred pages of Champion.


The entire book was great, but the last sequences were just so well done it was like nothing I've ever read. 

The whole thing just seemed to flow with no breaks and no confusion. One event lead seamlessly to the next and so on... So, so awesome. 

The big red quote up there? I pretty much died from overexposure to pure awesomeness when Day said that. My feels are drastically more susceptible to inspiring/beautiful scenes rather than just plain sad scenes, so any time Day opened his mouth to speak to a big group of people there was some level of feels involved. 

I was seriously so invested into this book that when Day said the quote I put above I dramatically inhaled as a wave a feels wracked through my body. I hardly ever express such an obvious outwards reaction to a book, not matter what happens. 

Which means by the end of Champion my feels were pretty much destroyed, and not just because Day is awesome. 

The fight scene between June and Jameson was absolutely phenomenal. When June saw Jameson aiming at Day and went to sneak up behind her to shoot her, then Jameson suddenly turned around... I was half-expecting the cliche scene where Jameson would be shot then and there, but NOPE. 

So they fought for a bit and then started circling each other like cats. At this point I was able to perfectly envision the emotions (or lack thereof) playing all over their faces. Then June thought this:

It's just you and me now. This is the way it was always meant to be, this is the moment I've been waiting for since it all began. We'll face each other at the very end with our bare hands. 


And then they proceeded to have the most epic hand-to-hand fight I've ever read. 

If that didn't make June escalate to the top of my Bad*butt* Book Characters List, I don't know what else will. 

I was staring at the book like this while that entire scene played out

and I'm pretty sure I visibly winced when June's arm was dislocated at the end of the scene. 

And when Jameson got shot up like a skeet disc on a shotgun range, I didn't know whether cheer because Jameson was FINALLY DEAD or sit there and berate June for not ending her honorably. Apparently June thought the same thing because she stood there trying to convince herself that she did the right thing in telling those random filler soldiers to turn Jameson into swiss cheese. 

But still. That scene was wonderful. 

Heck, the whole book was wonderful. I can't even begin to describe how I feel about the ending, other than the fact my feels are now in tatters from how bloody beautiful the last few pages were. 




Also when Thomas died I lol'd. 








Due to time issues and motivation I never made a review post for Prodigy. To be honest, it would just be blabbing about how amazing it was and how much Thomas needed to die and the fact that it gets a 87/100. 


NOW CHAMPION, THOUGH. 

It gets a 90. 

Because it was so aldfjdakjhfdhs I don't even know how to put it into words passed what I already said here. 

- I can't even feels




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nico di Angelo

BOOK REVIEW: THE DARKEST MINDS BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

Review: Sylo by D.J. MacHale