Review: Ruins

So, I finally got my hands on a copy of Ruins, the third and I believe last book (but don't quote me on that) in the Partials Sequence by Dan Wells. I didn't have any new books for about a month and now I have a stack of books piled on my desk waiting to be read, so there will be more posts to come.

Next I will be reading Where She Went, sequel to If I Stay, then the Under the Never Sky series/books and Four: A Divergent Collection. The order on the last two might change, we'll see.

I thought Tyler or Amanda had done a review but I can't seem to find it....

My rating: 8.5 / 10

Well, I was planning to brush up on Partials and Fragments to refresh my memory before I read Ruins. The only problem is that I don't have my own copies of Partials and Fragments yet since I borrowed them from Tyler. There isn't a Wiki page made to summarize them and I didn't make any quick summaries on my review posts. So I basically started reading and had to try to remember everything that happened already.

I have a bad memory so the first part of the book was hard for me to follow. After I got a sort of refresher, the book was good, still a bit confusing because all of the characters are all of these different places doing all these different things.

The ending part was actually quite unexpected. I thought the book was going to end and no one was going to live. Vale ended up talking with Delarosa after she was captured trying to set off the nuke about all of his bad decisions and stuff and decides to just activate the nuke. So White Plains was destroyed with some or most of the Partials, with the remaining ones bent on getting revenge on the humans. Samm makes is back across the Badlands with Heron, Calix, Phan, and some of the Third Division (the Partials that Vale had used to keep humans healthy in the Preserve). Samm arrives in time to save Kira and her group from getting completely wiped out by the Partials that were chasing them. Then as the groups are running away, Kira's thinking about who she's going to pick, Samm or Marcus. I mean, it's not like your lives are in danger or anything, just worry about who you're going to pick in case you live. I thought that was ridiculous. That and the fact that it took so long for anyone to figure out that the cure for the expiration date was in the humans. 

So the book ends. The humans and Partials look like they are willing to try to work together so they can survive. Kira chooses Samm. Calix and Marcus might be going on a date. Green ends up surviving past his expiration. The Blood Man/Armin is killed by Heron, who sacrificed herself to make her life worth something. Isolde's baby Khan is dead. Isolde, Xochi, Ariel, and Nandita are alive and meet up with Kira.

It's nice to have a book end happily because I was expecting so much worse.


~Jasmine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nico di Angelo

BOOK REVIEW: THE DARKEST MINDS BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

Review: Sylo by D.J. MacHale