Book Review: Mortal Instruments (Dark War arc)

THIS POST CONTAINS NO SPOILERS.


Something that worried me when I was looking in to reading the last three Mortal Instruments books was that everyone was saying they suck harder than a three year old does on his thumb. Of course, that should be taken with a grain of salt because something I've realized over the past year or so is that people on goodreads tend to take something as small as a mustard seed and then make it seem as huge as freaking Jupiter. 

That said, I disregarded all those people and read the books over my family's traditional vacation. 

Which basically means I read all three of them in a week. 

Anyway, CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS seems to be the scapegoat here as it's really awkward in my opinion. It has more sidequests than a Heroes of Olympus book, and for the first good two thirds of it you have no idea where it's going. Not to mention that as some points, it seems like it's saying, "Hey, plot! Go take the back seat, it's time for canoodling in the dark and complaining about Jace NeedsALastName!" That aside, the book isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I think they're trying to compare it too hard to something like City of Glass, so when it doesn't exceed their expectations they get all sad about it, brood about it, then complain about it. The best way I can put it is that CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS is in that awkward position where it has to start up a plot without needing to world-build, because the worlds was already built. Once the plot started going, though... 

CITY OF LOST SOULS happened! The reason I called Fallen Angels a scapegoat was because this book was really freaking awesome. There isn't much to say about it other than the fact that I like it and that Canoodles and Complaining seemed to kick the plot out the back windshield at times. Despite that, though, this book seemed more thought out and planned, as opposed to being used a plot device to get from point A to point B. It almost feels as if Fallen Angels could be streamlines and stuck into Lost Souls, making City of Lost Souls one really long book and City of Heavenly Fire another really long book. 

SPEAKING OF CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE... I don't even know where to start with this one. City of Heavenly fire is like someone got pure sugar, fried it, coated it in chocolate, fried it again, put it in a cake and then fed it to a fat person. Said fat person would be the happiest thing alive (as I was while reading this book) until his arteries pop and he dies (as my feels did). I can't really say much about it without spoiling something, but aside from a few scenes where Canoodles and Complaining took the plot, curbstomped it, then threw it off the planet, this book was a masterpiece. 

-MechEngie

EDIT:

Fallen Angels: 7.5/10
Lost Souls: 8.5/10
Heavenly Fire: 9.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nico di Angelo

BOOK REVIEW: THE DARKEST MINDS BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

Review: Sylo by D.J. MacHale