Review: Midnight City

Just finished Midnight City by J. Barton Mitchell. Oh my gosh. It was good! Spoilers present below.

My rating: 9.5 / 10



So, no summary because I would probably summarize things wrong because so much happened in this book.

The reason I didn't give a 10 was because the beginning was slightly confusing. I know this is the first book in the series and all, but it just jumped right in to using the terminology and I had to try to figure out what it was talking about. Plus, I think I'm reserving my 10 for books like Never Fade and Severed Tower, if it is truly as good as Tyler says it is...which I think it will be.

Here we go.

Holt. I feel bad for him because ever since he lost Emily, he's been on his own. Then when Mira and Zoey come along, he just wants to get rid of them. Towards the end of the book, he realizes just how important they are to him and that he feels things that he hasn't felt since Emily Succumbed. He feels like he has to save Mira, Zoey, and Max because he feels like it's his fault that Emily left. There was nothing he could do, but he is trying to prevent the same thing from happening. Then at the end, when the group is escaping Midnight City while it's under attack, he has to use the Chance Generator to make it out safely since he's carrying Mira. Mira mentions how there is a brief glimpse of something calculating in his eyes when she asks him to put the Chance Generator in his backpack as they head to the Strange Lands. Hopefully, he won't become obsessed with using it, since he used it on full power like Mira also said was bad.

Mira. I like her. She's smart and tough but also sweet and sensitive. At first, when Holt and Mira first meet, I was like, "Wow, she's just casually taking a bath, way to get caught." Then she tricked Holt and was able to run off. She has a good sense of what's right. After she made the Tone Accelerator thing and tested it, she knew it should never be used and she lost her points and reputation in Midnight City just to prevent other people from using it. And she can take care of herself, I'm so glad that she's not some needy girl. Like something Holt mentions, she can take care of herself but she let him help her...or something along those lines. 

Zoey. I was skeptical of her at first, I mean, surviving a crash on an Assembly ship and not remembering anything other than her name? It seems suspicious. I thought it was funny how she was kind of like Holt and Mira's kid. She would ask to ride Max and they would both tell her no, assuming a parent-like role. When she healed those two kids in the tent at the trading post of the Tone. What. The. Heck. I kept saying that she better heal Mira so she and Holt and be together because she is the original shipper. I'm not even joking. She was always insisting that the group stayed together, but she also helped Mira and Holt understand each other and articulate things that they couldn't say. Like before they went into the trading post, I think it was, there was an awkward moment when they couldn't say what they wanted to say, and Zoey just comes up and is all "Holt wants to ask you this. Mira wants to tell you this. Was that so hard?" When Holt gets hit by the plasma bolt or whatever and he wakes up in the cabin on the landship and he and Mira are about to kiss, Zoey comes in and is all "Are you finally going to kiss?"...which of course, they don't because Zoey is there now. We also find out that Zoey is what the Librarian/Old Man referred to as the Apex, who survived the creation of the Strange Lands when the Assembly first came to Earth of whatever. Is that why the Assembly is chasing her?

Holt/Mira. If you couldn't already tell, I ship it. I was like pounding with my fist as I sat on my bed reading the part where Mira finally Succumbs in the room in the dam. Then Zoey stops the attack and heals Mira of the Tone. Yesss. They can be together. And then Mira pulls out the stone Holt gave her and the necklace that Ben gave her. Oh great. Possible love triangle on the horizon. Wait, not just a triangle though because when Zoey went to see the Oracle, she saw Holt kissing someone who wasn't Mira. It's a possible love square. NOOOO!!! Go away, people. Leave my ship in peace. I like how it wasn't like they fell in love right in the beginning and it wasn't like they had feeling for each other right away. They spent more time together and the feelings grew. I also liked how they knew how the other one felt about losing someone close to them to the Tone so they could relate and how they didn't push to know everything about the other person when that person didn't want to talk about it. They accepted that they would be told when it was time. 

This book, though. There was a quote towards the end that I thought was kind of funny yet accurate. 

"She sank into the flowing river that was  the feelings, let it take her where it wished."--pg 356

It just seems to describe book feels to me. 

Okay, this is running long already, so I'll stop there.


~Jasmine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nico di Angelo

BOOK REVIEW: THE DARKEST MINDS BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

Review: Sylo by D.J. MacHale