The Lightning Thief

Alright guys...I just finished The Lightning Thief. All 375 pages.

I love these books, guys. I just cannot explain it. I remember reading them in the 6th/7th grade and loving them 100%.

And...I have something really creepy to write. This is a TRUE. STORY.

So, I discovered and read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books in the 6th grade.

Percy is in and finishes the 6th grade in The Lightning Thief. Percy is also 12 years old, and I was 11 when I was in the 6th grade and turned 12 when I started 7th. (I started school early when I was little. I will be 17 when I graduate high school next June).

I did not know about the Heroes of Olympus books until the beginning of this year. I read The Lost Hero, The Son of Neptune, and The Mark of Athena at the beginning of this year. I read The Mark of Athena all in one day (in 6 hours 5 minutes and 37.3 seconds) on April 13th.

In the Heroes of Olympus books, Percy is 16 and at the end of The Mark of Athena, it is revealed that his 17th birthday is approaching.

The House of Hades is coming out on MY 17th birthday, October 8, 2013.

I am personally amazed and freaked at these connections, and I TOTALLY love it.

I LOVE the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus books with all of my heart; I honestly doubt any books will replace them as my absolute favorites except for the Bible.

Rick Riordan really blessed me with these books, and the reason I love them so much is because of the CHARACTERS.

I am a Christian, so I don't believe in Greek or Roman gods or any other gods besides God Himself, but that does not stop me from loving these books and from loving the characters.

And don't get me wrong. My love for them isn't like "PERCY OMYGOSH ANNABETH I LOVE PERCY SOO MUCH I WANNA MARRY HIM PERCABETH UUGGGHH LAZEL I'M SHIPPING SO HARD" blah blah blah.

My love for the characters is a love I feel for my bestest friends. These characters, these fictional people that I wish were real, would be my bestest friends if they were real. (I know 'bestest' is not a word).

I have only had two long-term, awesome friends in my whole life: Taylor and Tyler.

I've known Taylor for over 10 years; she and I are super close past-wise and are dying to spend time together once again. She graduated this year and I am graduating next year. We have so many memories, and she is just the bestest girlfriend a girl could ask for.

Tyler is my boyfriend: my first and prayerfully, my only. We met through a friend and became boyfriend and girlfriend on March 16, 2012. I had made a vow to myself back in middle school to never date until I was ready to get married, and without warning, God brought Tyler into my life. We instantly hit it off as two nerds, but we were quickly swept into the entangling thing that is first love, and have now been together for 1 year and almost-six-months. We both still have our first kisses and we are (PROUDLY) virgins. We want to stay pure for our future spouses. Tyler is my bestest friend in the ENTIRE world, and he means so much to me I couldn't even begin to explain. He and I...we're like Frank and Hazel in the sense that we both have given each other the power to destroy each other (like Frank's stick...if it burns up, he dies). But ultimately, Tyler and I are like Percy and Annabeth.

We started out as friends. We quickly became best friends. We then became boyfriend and girlfriend.
Tyler reminds me of Percy in so many ways it scares me.
Am I like Annabeth? Ask Tyler. I really don't know.
(Though I do want to grow my hair out, curl it a lot, and get more blonde ;) )

The love I have for these two people is what I feel for these characters. I adore each and every one of them, and my heart aches and breaks every time one of them is hurt, heartbroken, or dies. I feel their pain, their love, and their passions. They each are so strong, and I could not imagine what it'd be like to be one of them.

Falling into Tartarus out of love for each other...mourning your sister...losing your family...being misunderstood...just trying to keep everyone safe.

It's amazing.

I love these books with a passion, and I pray that others may be able to fall in love with them and the characters they possess just like me.

That's...all.

~Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nico di Angelo

BOOK REVIEW: THE DARKEST MINDS BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

Review: Sylo by D.J. MacHale