Jack Ryan, Tartarus, and College

Some people would say the latter two terms in the title are synonymous, but I disagree. More on that later.

Those of you that read my last post should recall when I said that I was going to try to finish The Battle of the Labyrinth, and Last Olympian, and Locked On by Monday.

Well somehow, I grabbed that objective, punched it in the nose, and then slammed it upside the head with a folding chair. That meaning I finished Locked On on Saturday (It's Sunday at the time this is being written). Given I was on Vacation, as Amanda mentioned, I wasn't able to start The Lost Hero because I didn't have it with me. I'll get on that shortly.

Now! For those of you unacquainted with anything Tom Clancy, you're probably wondering who or what a Jack Ryan is. Long story short, Jack Ryan is a character in a lot of Clancy's novels. Now, his books don't necessarily follow a single story arc like standard book series' do, but they do share characters and reference the other books, but in a manner that the references are more like little easter eggs that would make you smile, but don't significantly add or subtract from the plot. Jack Ryan is definitely the biggest one of these. But I'm talking about his son, Jack Ryan... ... Junior.

Junior hasn't had nearly as much time in the spotlight as Senior, and while both Jack Ryans are certainly boss status, Jack Ryan Jr. is just an overall boss. I kind of imagined him like Raiden from Metal Gear Rising: He's not on the top of the command chain in the organization he works for, but he'll totally go against his orders if he thinks his plan will work better. The only thing that stops him from doing that in every combat scene in the book that features him is that John Clark is more often than not present. I even imagined Ryan to look similar to Raiden and have a similar voice. It totally suited him. The fact that Raiden's name is actually Jack is neat, too.

John Clark is like Liam Neesan and Chuck Norris's figurative child. Even at 64 years old, he's a total boss at everything he does. The only thing that made me like Jack Jr. more than Clark was that Jr. beat the living crud out of the bad guy when no one told him to. And when he told his comrades (Clark included) that he did that, they all just nodded and went about their business.


MOVING ON.

'The House of Hades'.

Any good Percy Jackson fan would know that the above the title of the upcoming Heroes of Olympus book, and taken a face value, it would seem to literally mean a 'house', like the living area. I originally thought this, and I was like 'K, Hades is gonna be involved. And his house. Yeah.'

And then I re-read the original Percy Jackson Books.

Multiple times, 'The House of Hades' is mentioned. At one point, 'Hades' was used in the context of a location. In The Last Olympian, Hades himself states that 'The House of Hades will be called the saviors of Olympus' (Page 317 of Hardcover. Somehow I opened to it in one shot. Like a Jack Ryan Jr. boss.)

Okay. Now you tell me: How does a house in the literal, every day sense save anything in that context?

Think about it.

... No.

I think 'House of Hades', in this context, refers to the actual members of aforementioned 'house'. In this case, all the denizens of the Underworld and/or Tartarus. And after the ending of Mark of Athena, the latter is incredibly possible. Don't be surprised when previously banished-to-Tartarus monsters make cameos.

I really think there's a good chance I'm right. But there's also a chance that I'm wrong.




YEAH.

I start college in the beginning of September. Starting to get excited for it! Don't know what that will mean for my reading, though. So... yeah.

- Meep

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nico di Angelo

BOOK REVIEW: THE DARKEST MINDS BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

Review: Sylo by D.J. MacHale